Being able to “see yourself” represented in the media, from pop culture to news stories, is an important part of developing some of our earliest self-conceptions.
So what happens to our self-concept and self-esteem when we don’t see ourselves represented in the media?
Cher Hale is the founder and director of Ginkgo PR, a public relations firm that helps historically-excluded authors, entrepreneurs, and leaders take back narratives that have traditionally been told for them, not by them, in the media.
As a first-generation, Taiwanese-Black American woman, Cher has been on a mission to help historically-marginalized populations get the recognition they deserve for the work they’ve done quietly for years. On a bigger level, she hopes that her work in publicity, advocacy, and media relations is helping to move the needle toward equity for those who hail from historically marginalized identities.
In this interview, Dave and Cher discuss her personal experience with not seeing herself represented in the media, how her earliest PR work with homogenous clients and stories felt uninspiring, and how she eventually came to work with clients from historically marginalized identities.
Tune in to reflect on the challenges of taking a journey into visibility and belonging, and what it’s like to face internalized oppression, systemic pressures, and concerns for safety at every turn.
Please rate and review our show on Apple Podcasts and Spotify to help other listeners find our work!
Email us at Hello@TheNewStory.is and visit TheNewStory.is to listen to our full catalog of interviews.
Support our partners and affiliates for exclusive discounts:
- Bookshop.org: Buy cheap books and support local, independent bookstores with every purchase
- Fathom Analytics: Get beautiful, secure website data without trading your customers’ private browsing data to Google and Facebook
- Flywheel: Seamless WordPress website hosting on US-based servers
- Hover: Register domains with ease. Save $2 on your first purchase
- MailerLite: A lite, powerful, affordable email marketing platform with premium plans starting at just $9/mo.
- Sanebox: Take back your inbox with machine learning to automatically organize your emails. Save $5 when you join.
- Trint: Turn recordings of meetings, calls, and interviews into transcripts with 99% accuracy.
Affiliate Disclosure: Our show is listener supported through affiliate and partner links. By clicking one of the above links and registering or making a purchase, we may earn a small commission, which helps pay for the costs of our show.