In a patriarchal, misogynistic society, the stigmas and stereotypes that are weaponized against women create an insidious pattern of internalized oppression: those who are marginalized are gaslighted into thinking that they, themselves, are to blame.
What does that cost women?
We’re joined by Sasha Cagen, an author, coach, and teacher whose life work subverts some of the more restrictive, diminishing cultural expectations placed upon women, womanhood, and expressions of femininity in our time.
Once a Silicon Valley social media startup founder, Sasha has become a champion of feminist empowerment methodologies, especially for women over 40, who feel restricted or held back by social norms, cultural pressures, and expectations that are minimizing to a full and whole life experience.
She espouses counter-cultural concepts and practices like “self-marriage” while coining witty and memorable catchphrases like “quirkyalone” and even “pussywalking,” which have rightfully garnered global attention over her career from outlets like CNN, the New York Times, BBC, Vogue, and beyond.
Sasha is the author of the 2004 cult-favorite book, Quirkyalone: A Manifesto for Uncompromising Romantics, which espouses a philosophy of not settling in life, or in love.
Stream our curated podcast playlist on Spotify!
Please rate and review our show to help other listeners find our work.
Support our partners and affiliates for exclusive discounts:
- Bookshop.org: Buy cheap books and support local, independent bookstores with every purchase
- Fathom Analytics: Get beautiful, secure website data without trading your customers’ private browsing data to Google and Facebook
- Flywheel: Seamless WordPress website hosting on US-based servers
- Hover: Register domains with ease. Save $2 on your first purchase
- MailerLite: A lite, powerful, affordable email marketing platform with premium plans starting at just $9/mo.
- Sanebox: Take back your inbox with machine learning to automatically organize your emails. Save $5 when you join.
- Trint: Turn recordings of meetings, calls, and interviews into transcripts with 99% accuracy.
Affiliate Disclosure: Our show is listener supported through affiliate and partner links. By clicking one of the above links and registering or making a purchase, we may earn a small commission, which helps pay for the costs of our show.