Content warning: This episode contains brief mentions of sexual, physical, and emotional violence involving children, childhood abuse, sexual abuse of a child, bullying, and substance use.
For most of his life, Michael Baldwin was haunted by curious phobias, recurring nightmares, interpersonal relationship issues, and sudden anxieties so distressing that he would turn to substance use for relief.
One day, a therapist suggested that he was suffering from the effects of trauma.
He introduced Michael to EMDR, or Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing. Everything began to change.
Michael Baldwin and Deborah L. Korn are the authors of Every Memory Deserves Respect, which tells Michael’s story as a trauma survivor and shares Deborah’s clinical knowledge and expertise on what trauma is, how it affects the brain, and how EMDR therapy has been proven to help people recover from the effects of trauma with over 30 years of research and evidence.
Deborah L. Korn is a clinical psychologist and consultant, teacher, and researcher who presents and consults internationally on the treatment of adult survivors of childhood abuse and neglect. She is on the faculty of the EMDR Institute in California and the Trauma Research Foundation in Boston. She currently serves on the editorial board of the Journal of EMDR Practice and Research.
In this special episode, we ask, “Could EMDR therapy become the ‘new story’ of trauma survivorship for the nearly 70% of the population who suffer from the effects of traumatic experiences?”
Find an EMDR therapist at EMDR International Association.
Please rate and review our show on Apple Podcasts and Spotify to help other listeners find our work!
Support our partners and affiliates for exclusive discounts:
- Fathom Analytics: Get beautiful, secure website data without trading your customers’ private browsing data to Google and Facebook
- Flywheel: Seamless WordPress website hosting on US-based servers
- Hover: Register domains with ease. Save $2 on your first purchase
- MailerLite: A lite, powerful, affordable email marketing platform with premium plans starting at just $9/mo.
- Sanebox: Take back your inbox with machine learning to automatically organize your emails. Save $5 when you join.
- Trint: Turn recordings of meetings, calls, and interviews into transcripts with 99% accuracy.
Affiliate Disclosure: Our show is listener supported through affiliate and partner links. By clicking one of the above links and registering or making a purchase, we may earn a small commission, which helps pay for the costs of our show.