Did you know that an estimated 61 million Americans live with a disability? While the challenges of living with a disability can range from mobility to cognition, independent living, hearing, vision, and self-care, those who experience disabilities also have so much to offer to those without. This Disability Pride Month, we’re revisiting our 2023 conversation with Brooke Ellison, Ph.D., associate professor of health policy and medical ethics at Stony Brook University and author of the memoir, Look Both Ways. After an accident at age 11, Brooke was left paralyzed from the neck down and ventilator-dependent. As a policy and ethics expert in stem cell research, Brooke now lectures in the very location where medical professionals saved her life over 31 years ago. In this interview, Brooke advocates how society, as a whole, has so much to gain from a world in which those with disabilities are integrated into decision-making processes, public policy, and how physical spaces are designed. Listen to our full 2023 interview with Brooke Ellison here. Please rate and review our show on Apple Podcasts and Spotify to help other listeners find our work! Want to get in touch? Leave us a voicemail Support our partners and affiliates for exclusive discounts:
- Fathom Analytics: Get beautiful, secure website data without trading your customers’ private browsing data to Google and Facebook
- Flywheel: Seamless WordPress website hosting on US-based servers
- Hover: Register domains with ease. Save $2 on your first purchase
- MailerLite: A powerful, affordable email marketing platform with premium plans starting at just $9/mo.
- Sanebox: Take back your inbox with machine learning to automatically organize your emails. Save $5 when you join.
- Trint: Turn recordings of meetings, calls, and interviews into transcripts with 99% accuracy.