Content warning: This episode discusses violent crime including homicide, the criminal justice system, natural disasters, racism, and police brutality against unarmed Black civilians.
For 14 years, Jared Fishman served as a U.S. Department of Justice prosecutor, where he led some of America’s most complex and high-profile civil rights prosecutions involving police misconduct, hate crimes, and human trafficking.
He joins us to tell the true, behind-the-scenes story of his investigation of the murder of Henry Glover, an unarmed 31-year-old Black man, who was gunned down by a White police officer in the wake of Hurricane Katrina, which he chronicles in his book, Fire On The Levee: The Murder Of Henry Glover And The Search For Justice After Hurricane Katrina.
In this interview, we discuss:
- Jared’s years-long battle to hold the New Orleans Police Department accountable for police abuses
- The systemic failures at the root of one of the most egregious, shocking cases of police abuse in recent history
- How one case of police abuse pushed Jared to leave Federal prosecution, altogether, and try to look for new solutions
- How prosecutors, Attorneys General, and judges can help our broken justice system—without waiting for politicians to pass legislation
Jared Fishman is the founder and Executive Director of Justice Innovation Lab, an organization that designs data-informed solutions for a more equitable and effective justice system. He also serves as adjunct faculty at the George Washington University Law School and at Georgetown University.
Want to get in touch? Leave us a voicemail
Support our partners and affiliates for exclusive discounts:
- Fathom Analytics: Get beautiful, secure website data without trading your customers’ private browsing data to Google and Facebook
- Flywheel: Seamless WordPress website hosting on US-based servers
- Hover: Register domains with ease. Save $2 on your first purchase
- MailerLite: A lite, powerful, affordable email marketing platform with premium plans starting at just $9/mo.
- Sanebox: Take back your inbox with machine learning to automatically organize your emails. Save $5 when you join.
- Trint: Turn recordings of meetings, calls, and interviews into transcripts with 99% accuracy.
Affiliate Disclosure: Our show is listener supported through affiliate and partner links. By clicking one of the above links and registering or making a purchase, we may earn a small commission, which helps pay for the costs of our show.