While the declaration started out as good-humored—a way to jest and say, “I’m just so over it!”—today, she says, the story behind the saying now reeks of toxic individualism.
In a world that needs more caring—and, in which people who care about bad outcomes are doing a lot of harm—Kat encourages us to take pride in caring, even more.
But how do we care even more when it feels so hard to keep caring?
Kat Vellos is an author, speaker, facilitator, researcher, and former user experience designer who is on a mission to help people to experience greater authentic connections with each other, and healthy friendships in their personal lives.
She is the author of two books, We Should Get Together: The Secret to Cultivating Better Friendships and Connected from Afar: A Guide for Staying Close When You’re Far Away. Her words and work have been seen across TEDx, The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, Forbes, Fast Company, and dozens of other outlets.
Please rate and review our show on Apple Podcasts and Spotify to help other listeners find our work!
Visit us at TheNewStory.is to learn about The New Story Company, or to listen to our full catalog of interviews.
Support our partners and affiliates for exclusive discounts:
- Acorns: Easily save money and invest in your future, starting with a free $5 investment
- Bookshop.org: Buy cheap books at this Amazon competitor that supports local and independent bookstores with every purchase
- Fathom Analytics: Get beautiful, secure website data without trading your customers’ private browsing data to Google and Facebook
- Flywheel: Seamless, secure WordPress website hosting
- Hover: Safe, secure domain registration. Save $2 on your first purchase.
- MailerLite: Make the switch to a lite, powerful, affordable email marketing platform, with premium plans starting at just $9/mo.
- Sanebox: Make your inbox a sane place again with an invisible, machine-learning tool that learns how to organize your emails. Save $5 when you join.
- Trint: An innovative transcription service that uses AI technology to improve transcription quality with 99% accuracy.
Affiliate Disclosure: Our show is listener supported, including through affiliate and partner links. By clicking one of the above links and registering or making a purchase, we may earn a small commission, which helps pay for the costs of our show.